Treatment Options for Sensitive Teeth
Sensitive teeth are a common problem that disrupts the lives of millions of people every day. Many people live with the condition, thinking there is little they can do about it. However, your family dentist in Oxon Hill can offer a variety of dental care solutions based on the root cause of your tooth sensitivity. For some individuals, it is a minor matter that may be corrected with a fluoride treatment and special toothpaste, but for others sensitive teeth are a sign of a more significant problem. If you are suffering from tooth pain or uncomfortable sensations in your teeth when you eat certain foods, brush your teeth, or even inhale deeply, see your dentist and get treated.
Tooth sensitivity occurs when the enamel has been damaged and the tooth’s dentin—the protective layer covering of the tooth’s nerves—is exposed. Within the dentin layer are numerous tubes, called tubules, which lead to the nerve center of the tooth. When the nerves are exposed, they transmit pain or discomfort when they are subjected to cold and hot foods or beverages, acidic or sweet foods, and sharply inhaling air through the mouth.
If you have tooth sensitivity, see your dentist in Oxon Hill to get an accurate diagnosis. Your dental care team can determine the cause of your sensitive teeth and see if there are signs of exposed dentin. Tooth sensitivity can be caused by tooth decay or gum disease, which can be treated to ease the pain or discomfort. But, if the root of the tooth has been fully exposed due to erosion, a root canal may be necessary to repair the damage.
Treatment for Sensitive Teeth
- In-Office Treatments for Sensitive Teeth:
- Applying fluoride varnish will strengthen the teeth’s enamel and dentin
- Applying a highly concentrated fluoride foam or gel will strengthen the teeth
- Using a bonding agent will seal the dentin and provide a barrier to sensitivity
- At-Home Treatments for Sensitive Teeth:
- Brush with a soft-bristled toothbrush using a gentle, circular motion
- Avoid vigorous, hard pressure while brushing or over-brushing
- Use non-abrasive, ADA-approved toothpaste
- Use a toothpaste formulated to relieve sensitive teeth if damage already exists
- Ask your family dentistry experts about toothpastes with a high fluoride concentration to strengthen your teeth
To get the dental care you deserve from an affordable dentist in Oxon Hill, call Dental One Associates of Oxon Hill today at (240) 766-8568 or make an appointment.
Dental One Associates offers affordable family dentistry and gentle, compassionate dental care in Oxon Hill. With 11 affiliated practices throughout Maryland, our offices are conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At Dental One Associates of Oxon Hill, we provide most dental services, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialized procedures and complete dental reconstruction. We accept most dental insurance plans and offer affordable financial solutions for any budget. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover an affordable dentist who truly cares at Dental One Associates of Oxon Hill.