The Best Dental Care Tips from the Best Dentist Experts
The basics of good dental care are brushing, flossing, and professional check-ups. But are you using the proper tools and techniques to ensure a healthy smile? See if your dental habits are healthy and learn the right way to care for your teeth.
5 Basics of Brushing
Brushing is a must for good dental care, but not everyone brushes the way that they should and they wind up with oral health problems. To help you brush better, the American Dental Association provided these tried-and-true tips:
- Brush twice a day: Take your time in order to completely clean your teeth.
- Brush gently: Brush your teeth using gentle, back-and-forth motions. Be sure to brush the front, back, and chewing surfaces of teeth, along with your tongue.
- Choose the right tools: Find a fluoride toothpaste and a soft-bristled toothbrush. You may want to try an electric toothbrush, which can remove more plaque than traditional brushes.
- Replace your brush regularly: Get a new toothbrush or electric brush replacement head every three to four months. Replace it sooner if it becomes worn down or you’ve been sick.
- Clean your toothbrush: Always rinse your toothbrush after brushing and keep it in an upright position to dry. Avoid covering or storing it in a closed container so it doesn’t breed bacteria.
Importance of Flossing
Brushing is important, but it can’t reach the food particles trapped in the tight spaces between teeth. If particles aren’t removed, they can lead to decay, gum disease, and other dental care problems. Daily flossing allows you to remove those hidden particles and prevent the problems they cause. But using the right technique is important, so follow these flossing guidelines from the best dentist experts:
- Floss at least once a day, and if you find it hard to handle floss, use an interdental cleaner to clean between teeth.
- Tear off about 18 inches of dental floss and use a fresh portion of floss on each tooth.
- Gently guide the floss between your teeth using a rubbing motion and curve the floss against the tooth as you reach the gumline.
- Slowly slide the floss tooth in an up-and-down motion against every tooth to ensure complete cleaning and coverage.
Detecting Dental Problems
Besides proper dental care at home, you need regular dental cleanings and check-ups from the best dentist for you. Only a professional can provide advanced cleanings, as well as detect and treat dental problems. It’s important to find an affordable dentist and tell them if you see signs of problems before they become a real pain. Contact an affordable dentist if you notice any of these signs:
- Swollen, red, bleeding, or even tender gums.
- Gums that are pulling away from teeth.
- Loose teeth.
- Alignment shift between top and bottom teeth.
- Sudden tooth sensitivity to cold or hot temperatures.
- Ongoing bad taste in your mouth.
- Constant bad breath.
To learn about our family dentistry practice in Oxon Hill, call Dental One Associates of Oxon Hill today at (240) 766-8568 or make an appointment.
Dental One Associates offers affordable family dentistry and gentle, compassionate dental care in Oxon Hill. With 12 affiliated practices throughout Maryland, our offices are conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At Dental One Associates of Oxon Hill, we provide most dental services, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialized procedures and complete dental reconstruction. We accept most dental insurance plans and offer affordable financial solutions for any budget. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover an affordable dentist who truly cares at Dental One Associates of Oxon Hill.