Healthy Living with Dentures
Losing your teeth doesn’t have to mean the end of your social life. You can restore your smile with permanent or implant dentures. Dentures are a simple and affordable way to replace lost and missing teeth. There is an adjustment period when you first get your dentures. You will have to slowly transition back into normal eating habits and regular speech patterns – it all takes practice, but it can be done. Talk to an affordable dentist about dentures and use these tips to help you make healthy living with them easy. With just a few weeks of practice, you can be eating your favorite foods again and laughing and chatting with friends and family like nothing ever changed!
Replacing your missing teeth with permanent or implant dentures doesn’t have to mean the end of delectable dining as you know it. If you are concerned that you will never be able to eat your favorite foods, such as steak, corn on the cob, or frozen desserts, you just need to spend some time in the beginning learning how your dentures function and making a few adjustments to your eating habits.
Try these tips for regaining your confidence when it comes to eating with your new dentures:
- At first, you may feel as though food has lost its flavor. Don’t worry, your taste buds still work, but, your brain may be a little more focused on other things, like keeping your dentures in place. As you adjust to your dentures, eating will become second nature again and your sense of taste will return.
- Biting and chewing will feel different at first, so you should begin the transition with soft foods, like eggs, yogurt, and steamed vegetables. Be patient and get comfortable with various food textures before resuming your normal eating habits.
- Be careful when consuming very hot and very cold beverages. Much like your sense of taste, sensing hot and cold may be more difficult than usual because the focus your brain has currently shifted to learning to use your dentures.
- As your experience wearing dentures progresses, you can begin eating chewy and crunchy foods once again. Remember to cut your food into small pieces and chew thoroughly. Over time, you will become confident with eating.
- Eating corn on the cob, whole apples, and other foods that require high amounts of biting force should be approached using a denture adhesive. Denture adhesives give you greater security in the placement of your dentures, as well as protect your mouth against food particles and bacteria that can cause bad breath.
To get the dental care you deserve from an affordable dentist in Oxon Hill, call Dental One Associates of Oxon Hill today at (240) 766-8568 or make an appointment.
Dental One Associates offers affordable family dentistry and gentle, compassionate dental care in Oxon Hill. With 11 affiliated practices throughout Maryland, our offices are conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At Dental One Associates of Oxon Hill, we provide most dental services, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialized procedures and complete dental reconstruction. We accept most dental insurance plans and offer affordable financial solutions for any budget. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover an affordable dentist who truly cares at Dental One Associates of Oxon Hill.